happy spring y’all!
i’m typing this as i look at the forecast of possible snow in may. oh canada, can you get your crap together?
whether the weather is sunny or rainy, it still is spring and so i thought i would show you how to make these delicious and adorable edible bird nests!
the ingredients are a little odd and are basically a mix of whatever was in the kitchen because typical me forgot to check what i needed. let me explain the scenario:
[EASTER MONDAY, enter Miss Brainy]
MB: hey mumma, let’s make these cute bird things!
MB’s Mom: what do we need?
MB: shredded wheat…
MB’s Mom: we don’t have that.
MB: dairy milk chocolate?
MB’s Mom: nope.
MB: mini eggs?
MB’s Mom: finished.
MB: okay, can we go grocery shopping?
MB’s Mom: it’s easter monday, nothing is open!
MB: i guess we will have to improvise…
alright, fine, i guess i should have been more prepared but we still managed to make it work! with a trip to shoppers drug mart and a bunch of random stuff that we found, we created a masterpiece. so, here is our ingredient list (feel free to change it up).
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- a muffin tin
- fibre one cereal
- rice krispies cereal
- mini eggs
- peeps marshmallow treats (the birds) – however, we only need the heads so you need to decapitate your peeps and get rid of their butts
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- melt your chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl
- combine both of your cereals in a measuring cup
- slowly combine your cereals and your chocolate so all of the cereal is covered – the mixture should be chunky and solid, not gloopy
- once all the cereal is fully coated, spoon the mixture into your muffin tin (you can use cupcake liners or grease the pan, whichever you prefer)
- place your peeps and your eggs in whatever fashion you like (we decided to put one bird and three eggs, which fit perfectly)
- pop your muffin tin in the freezer or fridge until it’s solid!
then, you will get some adorable treats that are perfect for your instagram feed! we had a little bit of a photoshoot with ours…
i ended up giving these to my friends and teachers who celebrate easter, but they are so delicious that i might just make another batch for myself! the whole thing took less than half an hour to assemble and a few hours to become solid in the fridge. it was such a quick and easy treat to make.
let me know in the comments if you are going to try these, and don’t forget to tag me on instagram or twitter @missbrainyblog!
stay brainy and stay beautiful!